As efforts at ending the lingering fuel scarcity continued yesterday, the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) has disclosed that the Port Harcourt Refinery has resumed production of five million litres of petrol daily.
The reopening of the nation’s largest refining outfit would be regarded as a major boost as the Federal Government continues the fight to end the crippling shortages that have now entered into its third month.
The Group General Manager, Group Public Affairs of the NNPC, Garuba Deen Muhammad, told journalists during an inspection of some petrol stations in Abuja with the Executive Director, Supply and Distribution, Nigerian Petroleum Marketing Company (NPMC), Justine Ezeala, that normalcy in fuel supply would soon return.
According to him: “The Port Harcourt Refinery has being refining for quite a while now; from last week, between three and five million litres. We expect Kaduna to begin any time from now and we also have vessels discharging fuel and so, all these combined measures will bring down the situation.
“When you have this kind of situation, people will naturally get agitated but people are getting calm now because they know the supply gap has now been bridged and it is a question of distribution. They are all patient and that was what happened in Lagos. The situation has virtually normalised in Lagos because the motorists cooperated,” he said.
Muhammad claimed that the corporation had information that the problem in Abuja was being complicated by taxi drivers who have resorted to queuing up multiple times daily and selling their purchases to black marketers.
He said: “People always take advantage of situations and now we hear taxi drivers have taken advantage of the situation and they find it more profitable to join queues and round trip to sell to black market operators, rather than doing their businesses. We will need to devise means of stopping people from diverting and round tripping,”
On his part, Ezeala, who confirmed that the Port Harcourt Refinery was back on stream, as well as the activities of the taxi drivers, explained that the corporation had increased daily product truck-out to Abuja.
He said that Abuja and its environs got up to 204 trucks of petrol daily and should have no reason to still experience scarcity of petrol in its filling stations.
Other Great Posts
- NNPC gets fresh deadline on presidential approval
- Winners Emerge For Face Of Native and Vogue International Fashion Week 2013
- Here Are The Richest and Most Powerful Babes In Nollywood
- Okupe Assures Of Uninterrupted Power Supply Before Year End
- INEC Collation Officer For Port Harcourt LGA Caught With Amaechi, Fake Result Sheets (PHOTOS)
- NUT to shut down primary, sec. schools nationwide over ASUU strike, gives two weeks ultimatum
- No Going Back On Subsidy Removal – FG
- Kachikwu Explains Reasons For Fuel Scarcity (Video)
- DPR Gives Out FREE Fuel To Motorists In Kwara
- (VIDEO)-Justin Timberlake defends Miley Cyrus’ VMAs performance: ‘It’s not like she did it at the Grammys’
- Atiku, Farida Waziri blast Obasanjo on corruption comments
- Justin Bieber’s Hippie Look To The iHeartRadio Awards
- Private varsities VCs ask NANS to mediate between FG/ASUU
- Boko Haram leader, Shekau, resurfaces, mocks Nigerian Army-(VIDEO)
- Check out Rihanna’s outfit to rapper A$AP Rocky’s new video Fashion Killa
- Menopause and Bioidentical Hormones
- PPPRA Approves N86.50 As New Pump Price
- Desperate Politicians Want To Bring Me Down – Saraki
- SHOCKING REVELATIONS: How FCT Officials Steal Houses, Lands From Abuja Indigenes In Huge Resettlement Fraud
- FG Denies Importing 53 Gold-Plated iPhones
- Resident doctors declare nationwide strike
- 70 million Android tablets activated during last year, 1 million apps on Play Store
- Naira Plunges to 300 Against Dollar
- We cannot give excuses for fuel scarcity − Lai Mohammed
- Mochedah To Launch Clothing Line Next Year
- Ozil undergoes Arsenal medical after agreeing personal terms
- Nollywood Actress, Princess Chimeke With Ex-President Obasanjo’s In New York (Picture)
- I won’t return N100m I collected from Anenih – Falae
- Lawyers differ as DSS re-arrests Dasuki at prison gate
- FG To Handover PHCN To Successor Companies 30th September
- Fayose Benefited From Arms Cash – APC Ekiti Chapter
- Court Orders FG To Allow Dasuki Access To His Lawyers
- MI, Olamide, Burna Boy, Others, Celebrate Nigeria with Close Up Loves Naija Concerts
- Psquare, Wizkid nominated for 2013 MTV Europe Music Awards
- Psquare, Iyanya get nominated alongside Chris Brown, Justin Timberlake & Emeli Sande for Soul Train Awards
- MTN – An Unfolding Corporate Scandal Of A Yellow Brand
- Justin Timberlake Sued By Cirque Du Soleil For Alleged Copyright Infringment
- Buhari visits China’s Aerospace Science Technology Corporation Center
- True Life Story Of The Pretty Banker Who Married A Danfo Driver
- House of Tara launches Corporate Headquarters in Lagos