The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has received an official query from Fifa over comments made by Super Eagles coach Stephen Keshi, BBC Sport has learnt.
The Malawi Football Association (FAM) had reported Keshi to Fifa after he called their former coach Tom Saintfiet “a white dude who should go back to Belgium”.
Keshi has until Thursday to respond to Fifa.
The case concerns comments Keshi made in reaction to Malawi’s calls to have a crucial 2014 World Cup qualifier between the two nations in August moved from the city of Calabar on security grounds.
FAM wants action taken over what it calls “racist” remarks by Keshi aimed at Saintfiet.
NFF board member Chris Green told BBC Sport: “We can confirm that we actually received an official query from Fifa before the game against Malawi in Calabar.
“It was addressed to Keshi to respond, but we felt it would create an unnecessary distraction to inform him before a crucial game.
“We are all putting our thoughts together and will give Keshi an opportunity to defend himself within the deadline given by Fifa.
“The federation is confident that coach Stephen Keshi is not a racist and what transpired between both coaches has been blown out of proportion.
“We are very optimistic that everything will be sorted out amicably.”
Keshi and Saintfiet met at the departure hall of the Calabar airport on Sunday and there appeared to be no sign of animosity.
In the game, Nigeria dominated on a rain-soaked pitch in Calabar and emerged 2-0 winners over Malawi.
The African Champions now await Monday’s draw for the final play-off round, which features the 10 group winners.
Follow flashnewsblog.com on twitter @fnb56 and on facebook.
Other Great Posts
- Nigeria vs. Malawi 4PM Today
- President Goodluck awards Okagbare, coach N6.5m
- Yaya Toure Blasts CAF After He Lost The Player Of The Year Award
- White Coach Apologizes to Nigerian Striker Blessing Eleke After Racially Abusing Him as “A Black Idiot”
- WE PACKED THE ARENA FULL BACK TO BACK – SOUND SULTAN ON ABL GAMES [PHOTOS]
- Watford Striker Odion Ighalo Reveals How mum sold sachet water so he could play football
- Ballon D’or Award 2015 winners in full + Photos from the event
- Blatter Hospitalized Refuses to Quit
- MOYES WILL FAIL IF..
- Real Madrid Players Welcomed New Coach Zinedine Zidane With Smile (Photos)
- I WAS ENSLAVED BY MOURINHO- AVB
- EPL MATCHDAY 6 ROUND UP
- Zinedine Zidane Suffers Wardrobe Malfunction During Madrid’s Champions League Win Over Wolfsburg
- Ozil undergoes Arsenal medical after agreeing personal terms
- GALATASARAY APPOINTS MANCINI
- Mikel Obi And Baby Mama Share Precious Moments [Photos]
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s reaction when Messi was announced Ballon d’Or winner (Photos/Video)
- Preview of Events At The Glo/CAF Awards 2015 in Abuja [VIDEO]
- Cristiano Ronaldo Lands Himself In The History Books As He Sets Two New Records
- Gareth Bale moves from Tottenham to Real Madrid on record transfer fee
- US Open 2013: Serena Williams & Victoria Azarenka reach final
- EPL ROUND UP
- RIVALRIES REKINDLED BY KEVIN OMOKARO
- Former IAAF President Lamine Diack Resigns As IOC Honorary Member
- Emmanuel Adebayor shows off luxury watch collection as he continues to pocket £100k a week from Tottenham
- Meet Cristiano Ronaldo’s New Girlfriend
- Liverpool sign Sakho from PSG
- Cristiano Ronaldo Scores 30 La Liga Goals For Sixth Season In A Row
- Manchester United & Everton agree £24m Fellaini fee
- Petr Cech Achieves Landmark 170 BPL Clean Sheets
- Nacho big blow for Gunners
- Forbes Richest Artistes In Africa: Don Jazzy Is No 1 In Nigeria, 2nd In Africa, See List
- FA Fines Jose Mourinho Again
- VIDEO: Watch Kunle Afolayan’s ‘October 1′ movie trailer
- MI, Olamide, Burna Boy, Others, Celebrate Nigeria with Close Up Loves Naija Concerts
- UK court shown clips of Governor Ibori’s opulent palace
- French Hostage Asks FG, French Govt To Help Secure His Release
- Video Teaser: Dbanj – Top Of The World
- Psquare, Iyanya get nominated alongside Chris Brown, Justin Timberlake & Emeli Sande for Soul Train Awards
- Picture : Beyoncé narrowly avoids a wardrobe malfunction