Ebonyi State government, yesterday, said 14 persons died of Lassa fever disease, while 83 suspected cases were recorded since the outbreak in January.
It also lamented that the state lost 76 lives to Cholera outbreak, which affected 38 communities.
The Commissioner for Health, Dr. Daniel Umezurike, who spoke while briefing newsmen on the level of successes the ministry had recorded, noted that the ongoing construction of the South-East Virology within the premises of the Federal Teaching Hospital, Abakaliki, FETHA, was already 95 percent completed, as all the equipment needed for the centre would arrive within the week.
The commissioner said over 76 persons had died in 38 communities across 11 local government areas of the state since the outbreak of Cholera in February 2015, and that within five months of its outbreak, only two councils, Afikpo North and Onicha, were not affected by the epidemic.
He said: “To curb the cholera outbreak, we quickly mobilised our Surveillance and Response Team to all the places discovered to have been ravaged by the deadly disease and with the help and logistics support of Governor David Umahi, we were able to control the five months old epidemic within two weeks.”
According to him, in the last one month there had not been any case of Lassa fever in the state following community sensitisation and campaigns by the three Special Assistants to Governor Umahi on Primary Health Care across the 13 Local Government areas.
He added that his ministry had attracted two incinerators from the National Primary Healthcare and
Development Agency, which would assist in the management of medical wastes in hospitals across the state and would be sited at General Hospitals, Ezzamgbo and Onicha.
Other Great Posts
- Lassa Fever Spreads To Lagos And Ondo
- FIXING IMMUNIZATION IN AFRICA
- Nigerian medic designs novel ventilator
- MAKING A DIFFERENCE
- Doctors treat Nigerian children of world’s worst case of lead poisoning after 2-year delay
- Female Smokers More Likely To Suffer Brain Haemorrhage
- Irrua Specialist Teaching Hospital Doctors Mourn the Death of Health Services in Nigeria With Black Ward Coat [ PHOTOS]
- “We need men in our lives”: 8,000 women seek husbands in Zamfara
- Resident doctors declare nationwide strike
- Nigeria Borrows N600 Billion Monthly to Augment Salaries – FG
- FLASH NEWS BLOG EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH B’ BASH + HIS HIGHLY +R NMMNG MIXTAPE-(DOWNLOAD)
- 7 beheaded on Maiduguri/Damaturu road
- DPR Gives Out FREE Fuel To Motorists In Kwara
- Taraba: My deputy betrayed me, says Suntai
- Osun begins 4-5-3 educational system tomorrow
- Amaechi writes Jonathan, NASS, demands redeployment of state police commissioner
- FG Inaugurates Presidential Committee On Reconstruction Of Boards & Parastatals
- ASUU strike: Union warns Maku to stop making unguarded comments
- Winners Chapel Members Beating Up Public Officials [VIDEO]
- New Ebola Case Confirmed in Liberia; Guinea Tries a Vaccine
- Unresolved Issues Using Touch ID with iOS 9.1
- HIV Cure: New Vaccine ‘Cured’ Virus in Monkeys
- New Sexually Transmitted Disease Will Surface; See Pastor Adeboye’s 2016 Prophesies
- ASUU STRIKE: FG And ASUU Begins Fresh Dialogue
- How pastor deceived and raped 12-year-old girl through the night (PHOTO)
- NSCDC destroys 400 illegal refineries in Bayelsa
- N1.04trn Fine: We Expect No Operation Disruptions For Not Paying Fine – MTN
- Saraki’s Trial: Senate to Remove CCT, CCB from SGF’s Office
- FCT Abuja Elections: APGA Protest As INEC Declares Gwagwalada Area Council Inconclusive
- Abuja killing: SSS parades suspected Boko Haram member
- Arik stowaway kid: SSS grills mother
- Bomb Blast In Adamawa Claims 17 Lives
- Buhari Allots Portfolio To Confirmed Federal Ministers (See Full List)
- JONATHAN SACKS 9 MINISTERS •Ashiru, Rufa’i, Obada affected •Some board members also to go •Maku, Wike to oversee Defence, Education
- The Apostle That Said I Will Die Should Mention The Date – El-Rufai
- How Shekau’s ‘deputy’ was arrested —DSS
- EFCC Says It May Probe Nigerians Named In The Panama Papers Scandal
- Is Boko Haram Leader Shekau Really Dead!
- Ibinabo Fiberesima Thanks God That She Was Granted Bail, See What She Posted On Instagram
- 8 Ways To Make First Time Sex With A New Partner Awesome