Intel had one of the coolest presentations at this year’s CES, when it brought BMX riders, skateboarders, and free-runners alongside its CEO Brian Krzanich on-stage for its keynote speech earlier this week.
The action-packed performance was done to showcase its new button-sized chip, Curie, which can be attached to a sports device or the athlete’s body to trasnmit data about their performance.
Intel sees a future where Curie is used in all sports, for both professionals and amateurs, to enhance the entire sports consuming experience.
“With Curie, we believe we created what’s going to change the world of sports,” Krzanich said. “It’s the start of a dramatic revolution in sports.”
For example, snowboarders can mount Curie on their snowboards and see real-time data about their speed, jump level and distance, as well as the number of spins its does. TV broadcasters can display that data in real-time, and let the viewers have a more engaging experience, too.
In fact, to promote Curie, Intel has already partnered with ESPN to sponsor the upcoming Winter X Games in January, where data transmitted through Curie will be showcased on TV during live broadcasts of snowboard competitions.
“We believe we’re on the cusp of a breakthrough in live sports,” Krzanich said.
In an interview with USA Today, Krzanich said that he thinks Curie will be used more broadly for general training purposes for non-professional atheletes, too. For example, it could be placed in running shoes to see how hard your feet are hitting, or to find patterns in your workout that’s slowing your run.
And that will lead to higher sales and open up new revenue streams for Intel, a company that’s been exploring ways to deal with a shrinking PC market, where the majority of its sales have come from.
“It will take time to grow. But we think this an emerging sector that can sells hundreds of millions of these devices—the pieces of silicon,” Krzanich told USA Today.
Curie will be available in the first quarter of this year. It will be priced for less than $10, Krzanich said during his keynote.
Other Great Posts
- Best Intel Haswell laptops, Ultrabooks, MacBooks and a host of others
- VIDEO: World’s scariest interview? LG ‘plays cruel prank on job applicants’
- Google Maps Upgrade Will Enable You Get Directions When You’re Offline
- Twitter adds live Periscope broadcasts to timelines
- Sony Xperia Z Ultra: First impressions
- 10 apps to cut down your phone bill
- FIXING IMMUNIZATION IN AFRICA
- BlackBerry’s chat service BBM coming to Android, iPhone by this week
- Can Microsoft Edge be the Perfect Teacher’s Aide
- Apple Touch ID fingerprint tech ‘broken’, hackers say
- Facebook Stops the Mention of a website on its Platform
- N1.04trn Fine: We Expect No Operation Disruptions For Not Paying Fine – MTN
- Microsoft to acquire Nokia’s device business for $7.2 billion
- Unresolved Issues Using Touch ID with iOS 9.1
- Nissan Automated Cars Series
- 70 million Android tablets activated during last year, 1 million apps on Play Store
- 10 new features in Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS
- iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C names ‘confirmed’, next generation iPhone to have fingerprint reader, Gold colour variant
- Xbox One: All You Need to Know About Microsoft’s New Console
- THE SOCIAL MEDIA JURY MASTERCLASS AT LAGOS CREATIVE INDUSTRY FAIR
- Get Free 5GB On Your Mtn Sims..
- The Most Dreaded Android Malware Ever Liveth
- Video Teaser: Dbanj – Top Of The World
- MAKING A DIFFERENCE
- Nigerian medic designs novel ventilator
- Aeroleen Renewable Energy Limited Paves New Frontiers in Nigeria
- WikiLeaks founder claims ‘tactical victory’ for Bradley Manning prison sentence, blasts Obama
- Looking for the Best Primary and High Schools in Nigeria !!!!! StudyinNigeria.com
- Picture : Beyoncé narrowly avoids a wardrobe malfunction
- Police Recovers Cynthia Morgan’s Stolen Range Rover Sport
- GALATASARAY APPOINTS MANCINI
- Nigeria receive Fifa query over Stephen Keshi comments
- WE PACKED THE ARENA FULL BACK TO BACK – SOUND SULTAN ON ABL GAMES [PHOTOS]
- I WAS ENSLAVED BY MOURINHO- AVB
- White Coach Apologizes to Nigerian Striker Blessing Eleke After Racially Abusing Him as “A Black Idiot”
- President Goodluck awards Okagbare, coach N6.5m
- TB Joshua’s Church Confirms Jim Iyke’s Deliverance On Twitter-(Video)
- The Future Awards Africa unveils list of finalists
- BBC to Launch Pidgin English and Yoruba Services in Nigeria
- NEW MUSIC VIDEO: Pryse – Eleto ft Koker