In a recent interview with French newspaper, Le Monde, former Minister for Finance, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, said her fight against the fraud being carried out through the subsidy regime while she was minister, led to the kidnap of her 83 years old mother.
Okonjo-Iweala said she had asked former president Goodluck Jonathan to remove the subsidy regime after the massive corruption in it was uncovered.
She said when her mother was kidnapped, all the kidnappers demanded was for her to resign.
“I told the president that we would stop paying(subsidy). What happened? They kidnapped my mother, 83 years. During the first three days, their only demand was my resignation. I was supposed to go on television and announce my resignation.
This was one of the worst moments of my life. Can you imagine what happens in your head if you have to be responsible for the death of your mother?
I will not go into details, but you must understand that in a country like this… in the fight against corruption, we must be prepared to pay a personal price. My father asked me not to resign.
The president asked me not to resign. At the end, everyone began looking for her, and the kidnappers released her”she said
According to Okonjo-Iweala, state governors were opposed to saving the money realised during the oil boom in the past administration
“When I was finance minister the first time, the volatility of oil prices, and therefore state resources, cost at least three points of growth in the country.
We then established a stabilization mechanism and opened an account for the oil surplus, which posted up to $22 billion.
In 2008, when prices fell from 148 to $ 38 a barrel, no one heard of Nigeria because the country was able to tap into this fund. And that, I am very proud of.
When I returned to the department in 2011, there remained only $4 billion on this account while the price of oil was very high! I tried again to put money aside.
The president agreed, but the governors did not accept. I suffered a lot of attacks from them and now that the country would really need this account, these same people accuse me of not having saved! If Nigeria had been more careful, we would not be here today. It hurts me”she said.
Other Great Posts
- President Goodluck awards Okagbare, coach N6.5m
- Okupe Assures Of Uninterrupted Power Supply Before Year End
- Atiku, Farida Waziri blast Obasanjo on corruption comments
- Boko Haram leader, Shekau, resurfaces, mocks Nigerian Army-(VIDEO)
- Jonathan Govt Orders 53 Gold-Plated iPhone For 53rd Independence Anniversary
- Ex-Liberian President Charles Taylor Loses Appeal
- Truck crushes 12 in Ogun
- Private varsities VCs ask NANS to mediate between FG/ASUU
- American jihadi rapper who fled to Canada reported killed in Somalia
- 46 year-old Nigerian accountant murdered in her Essex home
- NUT to shut down primary, sec. schools nationwide over ASUU strike, gives two weeks ultimatum
- Extortion by Men of The Nigeria Police Again Caught on Camera ( Video )
- B’Haram linked to group behind Kenya mall attack • US report says Nigerian sect may have anti-aircraft missiles
- Why FG want ASUU strike to continue By Theophilus Ilevbare
- JTF kills 20 Boko Haram militants
- JONATHAN SACKS 9 MINISTERS •Ashiru, Rufa’i, Obada affected •Some board members also to go •Maku, Wike to oversee Defence, Education
- EFCC set to Arraign ex- Governor Gabriel Suswam On Alleged N3.1Billion Fraud
- Amaechi writes Jonathan, NASS, demands redeployment of state police commissioner
- Saraki Personally Submits Names of Ministers to Buhari
- Ex-minister Godsday Orubebe Famous for Interrupting 2015 Election To Face Trial For Corruption
- Quotes From President Buhari’s #PresidentialMediaChat
- VIDEOS: President Jonathan’s Media Chat on September 29, 2013
- Fayose Benefited From Arms Cash – APC Ekiti Chapter
- ASUU STRIKE: FG And ASUU Begins Fresh Dialogue
- Nnamdi Kanu Apologises To President Buhari
- I won’t return N100m I collected from Anenih – Falae
- French Hostage Asks FG, French Govt To Help Secure His Release
- No Going Back On Subsidy Removal – FG
- Ozekhome’s familiy cry out at kidnappers demand of N100m ransom
- President Buhari Will Hold First Media Chat
- Dasuki Begs President Buhari [MUST READ]
- Prof Wole Soyinka Escapes Death In Kenya
- Abuja-Based Lawyer Who Accused Senator Akpabio Of N108.1 Billion Fraud Appears Before EFCC
- SHOCKING REVELATIONS: How FCT Officials Steal Houses, Lands From Abuja Indigenes In Huge Resettlement Fraud
- Is Boko Haram Leader Shekau Really Dead!
- Is The End To The Schengen Area in Sight as Need For Increased Security Heightens
- EFCC Nabs Undergraduates, Others Over N2bn Bank Fraud
- ASUU strike: Union warns Maku to stop making unguarded comments
- Buhari visits China’s Aerospace Science Technology Corporation Center
- Nigeria’s Economy Has Taken A Nose Dive – Former World Bank VP Ezekwesili