In a recent interview with French newspaper, Le Monde, former Minister for Finance, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, said her fight against the fraud being carried out through the subsidy regime while she was minister, led to the kidnap of her 83 years old mother.
Okonjo-Iweala said she had asked former president Goodluck Jonathan to remove the subsidy regime after the massive corruption in it was uncovered.
She said when her mother was kidnapped, all the kidnappers demanded was for her to resign.
“I told the president that we would stop paying(subsidy). What happened? They kidnapped my mother, 83 years. During the first three days, their only demand was my resignation. I was supposed to go on television and announce my resignation.
This was one of the worst moments of my life. Can you imagine what happens in your head if you have to be responsible for the death of your mother?
I will not go into details, but you must understand that in a country like this… in the fight against corruption, we must be prepared to pay a personal price. My father asked me not to resign.
The president asked me not to resign. At the end, everyone began looking for her, and the kidnappers released her”she said
According to Okonjo-Iweala, state governors were opposed to saving the money realised during the oil boom in the past administration
“When I was finance minister the first time, the volatility of oil prices, and therefore state resources, cost at least three points of growth in the country.
We then established a stabilization mechanism and opened an account for the oil surplus, which posted up to $22 billion.
In 2008, when prices fell from 148 to $ 38 a barrel, no one heard of Nigeria because the country was able to tap into this fund. And that, I am very proud of.
When I returned to the department in 2011, there remained only $4 billion on this account while the price of oil was very high! I tried again to put money aside.
The president agreed, but the governors did not accept. I suffered a lot of attacks from them and now that the country would really need this account, these same people accuse me of not having saved! If Nigeria had been more careful, we would not be here today. It hurts me”she said.
Other Great Posts
- JONATHAN SACKS 9 MINISTERS •Ashiru, Rufa’i, Obada affected •Some board members also to go •Maku, Wike to oversee Defence, Education
- EFCC set to Arraign ex- Governor Gabriel Suswam On Alleged N3.1Billion Fraud
- Saraki Personally Submits Names of Ministers to Buhari
- Ex-minister Godsday Orubebe Famous for Interrupting 2015 Election To Face Trial For Corruption
- Quotes From President Buhari’s #PresidentialMediaChat
- Fayose Benefited From Arms Cash – APC Ekiti Chapter
- Nnamdi Kanu Apologises To President Buhari
- I won’t return N100m I collected from Anenih – Falae
- ASUU STRIKE: FG And ASUU Begins Fresh Dialogue
- VIDEOS: President Jonathan’s Media Chat on September 29, 2013
- President Goodluck awards Okagbare, coach N6.5m
- French Hostage Asks FG, French Govt To Help Secure His Release
- Okupe Assures Of Uninterrupted Power Supply Before Year End
- No Going Back On Subsidy Removal – FG
- Ozekhome’s familiy cry out at kidnappers demand of N100m ransom
- President Buhari Will Hold First Media Chat
- Dasuki Begs President Buhari [MUST READ]
- Prof Wole Soyinka Escapes Death In Kenya
- Atiku, Farida Waziri blast Obasanjo on corruption comments
- Abuja-Based Lawyer Who Accused Senator Akpabio Of N108.1 Billion Fraud Appears Before EFCC
- Is The End To The Schengen Area in Sight as Need For Increased Security Heightens
- Is Boko Haram Leader Shekau Really Dead!
- Boko Haram leader, Shekau, resurfaces, mocks Nigerian Army-(VIDEO)
- SHOCKING REVELATIONS: How FCT Officials Steal Houses, Lands From Abuja Indigenes In Huge Resettlement Fraud
- Nigeria’s Economy Has Taken A Nose Dive – Former World Bank VP Ezekwesili
- ASUU strike: Union warns Maku to stop making unguarded comments
- I Use 5, Not 6 Vehicles In My Convoy – Lai Muhammed
- Buhari Allots Portfolio To Confirmed Federal Ministers (See Full List)
- Buhari visits China’s Aerospace Science Technology Corporation Center
- Nnamdi Kanu’s Wife Delivers Bouncing Baby Boy
- Saraki’s Trial: Senate to Remove CCT, CCB from SGF’s Office
- Naira Plunges to 300 Against Dollar
- Why Jonathan fired Emordi, Olagunju
- Sunday Dare: The house of the PDP has fallen, let another take its place
- FG Denies Importing 53 Gold-Plated iPhones
- Jonathan Govt Orders 53 Gold-Plated iPhone For 53rd Independence Anniversary
- We cannot give excuses for fuel scarcity − Lai Mohammed
- Al-Qaeda Suspect Pleads Not Guilty In U.S. Court
- PPPRA Approves N86.50 As New Pump Price
- Private jet owners to pay $4,000 luxury tax per trip