The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission EFCC yesterday April 12th, arraigned a former acting Director-General of the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency, NIMASA, Haruna Jauro, his brother in-law, Dauda Bistrus Bawa, his company Thlumbau Enterprises Limited and others before the Federal High Court in Lagos over an alleged N156m fraud in the agency.
Jauro was appointed as an acting DG of NIMASA in July last year following the sack of the former Director General, Patrick Apkobolokemi, who is now being prosecuted for alleged multi billion naira fraud in the agency.
According to EFCC, Jauro and his co-accused were found to have been involved in the massive corruption that was perpetuated during the tenure of Akpobolokemi.
It was discovered that the former Acting DG while being the Executive Director, Finance, of the agency, received N156,477,500 as gratification from embattled Akpobolokemi to allow him and his cohorts embezzle money from the agency.
Part of the charges against them reads ” that you Haruna Baba Jauro, Dr Dauda Bistrus Bawa and Thlumbau Enterprises Limited on or about the 6th day of January 2014, in Lagos within the jurisdiction of this honorable court did conspire among yourselves to commit an offense to wit: conversion of the sum of N156,477,500 ( One Hundred and Fifty Six Million, Four Hundred Seventy Seven Thousand, Five Hundred Naira Only) property of the Nigeria Maritime Administration and Safety Agency, knowing that the said sum were proceeds of stealing and thereby committed an offense contrary to section 18(a) of the Money Laundering Prohibition (Amendment) Act, 2012 and punishable under section 15(3) of the same Act”. All the accused pleaded not guilty to the charges and were granted bail in the sum of N5, 000,000 (Five Million Naira ) and two sureties in like sum.
The sureties must be resident within the jurisdiction of the court and must present tax clearance for the last three years.
Other Great Posts
- Saraki Continued To Earn Salary As Governor 4 Years After Leaving Office – Witness [SHOCKING DETAILS]
- Fraudsters Clone EFCC Boss’ Phone Number [MUST READ]
- EFCC Nabs Undergraduates, Others Over N2bn Bank Fraud
- Extortion by Men of The Nigeria Police Again Caught on Camera ( Video )
- Ex-Liberian President Charles Taylor Loses Appeal
- Amaechi writes Jonathan, NASS, demands redeployment of state police commissioner
- EFCC set to Arraign ex- Governor Gabriel Suswam On Alleged N3.1Billion Fraud
- Abuja-Based Lawyer Who Accused Senator Akpabio Of N108.1 Billion Fraud Appears Before EFCC
- How My Fight Against Subsidy Fraud Led To The Kidnap Of My Mother – Okonjo-iweala
- SHOCKING REVELATIONS: How FCT Officials Steal Houses, Lands From Abuja Indigenes In Huge Resettlement Fraud
- Truck crushes 12 in Ogun
- Court Orders FG To Allow Dasuki Access To His Lawyers
- 46 year-old Nigerian accountant murdered in her Essex home
- President Goodluck awards Okagbare, coach N6.5m
- Jonathan Govt Orders 53 Gold-Plated iPhone For 53rd Independence Anniversary
- Atiku, Farida Waziri blast Obasanjo on corruption comments
- Private varsities VCs ask NANS to mediate between FG/ASUU
- B’Haram linked to group behind Kenya mall attack • US report says Nigerian sect may have anti-aircraft missiles
- Boko Haram leader, Shekau, resurfaces, mocks Nigerian Army-(VIDEO)
- If Tax Revenue Misses Targets Nigeria May Sell Chinese Panda Bonds to Help Fund 2016 Budget
- Nollywood Actress, Princess Chimeke With Ex-President Obasanjo’s In New York (Picture)
- Why FG want ASUU strike to continue By Theophilus Ilevbare
- Okupe Assures Of Uninterrupted Power Supply Before Year End
- $15m bribe money: Ibori, Ribadu trade tackles in London court
- EFCC Says It May Probe Nigerians Named In The Panama Papers Scandal
- Nigerian Internet Scammers Jailed In London For N460 Million Scam [PHOTO]
- ASUU strike: Union warns Maku to stop making unguarded comments
- YOUNG NIGERIAN DOCTOR GETS OPPORTUNITY TO MEET BARACK OBAMA AT THE GLOBAL STARTUP YOUTH PROGRAM IN MALAYSIA
- Resident doctors declare nationwide strike
- Dutch Seven Others to Testify Against Nnamdi Kanu [BIAFRA]
- New Video: Omawumi – Warn Yourself
- President Jonathan’s Cousin Arrested Over $40m Contract Scam [#DASUKIGATE]
- Quotes From President Buhari’s #PresidentialMediaChat
- Dasuki Begs President Buhari [MUST READ]
- Al-Qaeda Suspect Pleads Not Guilty In U.S. Court
- Al-Mustapha and Sofolahan released from Kirikiri Prisons
- Nigeria’s Economy Has Taken A Nose Dive – Former World Bank VP Ezekwesili
- NUT to shut down primary, sec. schools nationwide over ASUU strike, gives two weeks ultimatum
- American jihadi rapper who fled to Canada reported killed in Somalia
- Photos From The Opening Of Intercontinental Hotel In Lagos