BlackBerry’s popular instant chat service BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) will start running on rival mobile devices powered by Google’s Android and Apple’s iOS software later this week in line with the Canadian smartphone maker’s plans to open up the service to hold on to market share.
BlackBerry said in a media statement on Thursday that “BBM for Android would start rolling out on September 21 and for iPhone customers a day later from September 22” globally, including India. The Canadian smartphone maker’s popular instant chat app is now available only on BlackBerry devices. But come Saturday, it will be available as a free download for Android smartphones running Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean (Android 4.x) software. Likewise, BBM for iPhones powered by iOS 6 and iOS 7 software will become available for each market on the App Store schedule on Sunday.
BlackBerry’s decision to throw open its proprietary messaging platform is yet another attempt by the struggling firm to remain relevant and arrest falling market share amid news reports that it may cut 40% of its global workforce soon. A one time pioneer of the global smartphone turf, BlackBerry has lately been trying to survive in a market where rivals like Samsung Electronics and Apple have left it far behind in terms of market share.
BBM’s video and voice calling features will not be immediately available on BBM’s Android and iPhone apps although BlackBerry claims these are “planned for availability in a future version”. But the instant chat service, in its new versions, will continue using the BBM PIN to maintain privacy.
“BBM is a very engaging messaging service that is simple to use and with more than a billion Android, iOS, and BlackBerry smartphones in the market, and no dominant mobile messaging platform, this is absolutely the right time to bring BBM to Android and iPhone customers,” said Andrew Bocking, executive vice president for BBM at BlackBerry in the statement.
Other Great Posts
- 70 million Android tablets activated during last year, 1 million apps on Play Store
- Microsoft to acquire Nokia’s device business for $7.2 billion
- Sony Xperia Z Ultra: First impressions
- VIDEO: World’s scariest interview? LG ‘plays cruel prank on job applicants’
- Twitter adds live Periscope broadcasts to timelines
- 10 new features in Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS
- Unresolved Issues Using Touch ID with iOS 9.1
- Google Maps Upgrade Will Enable You Get Directions When You’re Offline
- Apple Touch ID fingerprint tech ‘broken’, hackers say
- iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C names ‘confirmed’, next generation iPhone to have fingerprint reader, Gold colour variant
- 10 apps to cut down your phone bill
- Nissan Automated Cars Series
- Can Microsoft Edge be the Perfect Teacher’s Aide
- Facebook Stops the Mention of a website on its Platform
- N1.04trn Fine: We Expect No Operation Disruptions For Not Paying Fine – MTN
- Intel shows how this button-sized chip could revolutionise live sports
- Best Intel Haswell laptops, Ultrabooks, MacBooks and a host of others
- Xbox One: All You Need to Know About Microsoft’s New Console
- FIXING IMMUNIZATION IN AFRICA
- THE SOCIAL MEDIA JURY MASTERCLASS AT LAGOS CREATIVE INDUSTRY FAIR
- The Most Dreaded Android Malware Ever Liveth
- Jonathan Govt Orders 53 Gold-Plated iPhone For 53rd Independence Anniversary
- Seven YR Old girl steals mobile phone out of a woman’s handbag under the approving eye of her mother
- Nigeria ranks highest among peers in property transaction cost at 22%
- Here Are The Richest and Most Powerful Babes In Nollywood
- Get Free 5GB On Your Mtn Sims..
- MKO Abiola’s Daughter Weds
- How to Disassemble/Tear/Destroy your Blackberry Z10 + Video
- Canada Condemns Yobe College Attack
- Celine Dion Loses 73 Year Old Husband Rene Angelil
- India’s baby factory where hundreds of impoverished Indian women are being paid £5,000 to have babies for childless Westerners
- At least 23 killed in India bridge collapse
- FG Denies Importing 53 Gold-Plated iPhones
- O.C Ukeje, Gabriel Afolayan, Funke Akindele, Imeh Bishop Udoh lead nominees for Nollywood Movie Awards
- ‘90s JNCO Jeans are Back and Proud
- VIDEO: Airwoman tasered in training grabs colleague’s crotch as she writhes in pain
- MTN – An Unfolding Corporate Scandal Of A Yellow Brand
- Lorry Rams Into Police Checkpoint In Anambra, kills 3
- Nigerians will soon fly low cost airline – Elk
- Google Nigeria designs Independence Logo